Thursday, February 17, 2011

Sharing Wisdom

Today at the dentist:

Dental Assistant: Hello Angie my name is Jenny! I don't think I've met you before, but are you alright if I do your cleaning for you today?
Me: Sure, that shouldn't be a problem.
Dental Assistant: Alright now Angie how old are you?
Me: I'm 18.
Dental Assistant: Oookay well have you decided when you want to get your wisdom teeth out?
Me: Ummm. I was kinda waiting for someone to tell me when I needed to.
Dental Assistant: Oh, well the earlier you get it done the better. How about we take care of that for you pretty soon. I'll set up an appointment with Dr. DeDecker's dad for you next week and we can see what they say!

That's right, I've finally gotten to that point where those 3 little teeth in the back of my mouth need to be removed.
Yes that's right, I only have three wisdom teeth! I don't know if you can tell, but I don't have my top left one. I'm not sure if this thing runs in the genes, but if it does, thank you mom (the same thing happened to her).
 My thoughts?
Super... I've never had surgery before so this should be pretty sweeet.

When I was little I remember dreading the day I had to get these babies out. I was scarred by the horror story of Lise's experience in getting them removed... All I remember is watching her throw up blood all day and being nauseous for what seemed like forever. I guess it was most likely just a negative reaction to the anesthesia or something, but I was paranoid child as it was.

I guess I'm really not all too worried now. It'll be nice to have it over with at least. And it'll sure give me something to do during spring break!

Do any of you who have gotten your wisdom teeth removed, have good tips for a quick recovery? If you have any pointers let me know! I still have a little while, but I want to prepare myself for it if I can.

9 comments:

  1. It's no sweat sis. Especially since you only have 3! I don't remember being puffy at all and Shehan survived his beautifully. You'll be in and out before you know it.Nice teeth, btw. Long and lean like mine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only had 3 too!! Yay! Garrett had 7... miserable. I recommend sleeping lots. I remember barfing up some red jello on grandma's carpet. Sad. Have a barf bucket nearby just in case. It really wasn't too bad. I'm sure you'll do great!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oxycodone hiccups. Woo hoo.

    - Shehan

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't have a problem and I had all four out. I didn't even take the pain meds they prescribed. But I would highly recommend gurgling with table salt. It doesn't taste good at all but it will clean and heal in hard places. Good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Angie. :D
    Have ice packs on hand. Maybe I just have a low pain threshold, but I kept my face plenty iced. And take pictures!!!!!!

    Also, be just as paranoid about hygiene as they tell you to be. I was, and I still got a nasty infection four months later. Not to scare you....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Take the meds they give you! I tried to tough it out, and oh boy was I miserable! Take the meds and it'll be a piece of cake :) New follower from Hop Along Friday :)
    http://mommyspeanutgallery.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, Angie! Thanks for following me, I'm now following YOU.

    I only had 2 wisdom teeth removed and I don't remember much about that experience. So, sorry, can't really help ya.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good for you!! I had a friend that had two sets of wisdom teeth!! I had 4 and all of them cracked in half and I was not put to sleep. I am a nurse in the OR today, so it must have not scarred me too much. Following from the blog hop. Hope you can follow back.
    God Bless,
    Shelley
    < a href="http://www.mylifeadventurebyme.blogspot.com//">Finding My Life in Faith< /a>

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the follow and the comments about building your house. I think you're right; it's hard now but it we will appreciate it so much more when it's done and we're living in it. It will be worth every sacrifice in the end. :) Following you back!

    Sorry about your wisdom teeth; hopefully it will go relatively well and painfree. Mine were impacted so they had to be surgically removed so it was quite painful afterwards but even so, I lived through it and was fine. I second the gurgling with salt water; tastes aweful but works. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete