Friday, January 14, 2011

Grandma Days

For Christmas, Mom decided that it would be a fantastic idea to get my sisters and I crocheting materials in hopes that we would learn how to do it. My first thought was, no way. I've tried knitting before and when I all I could create was a giant knot, I didn't think I could bring myself to going through that frustration again.

I put the materials aside cheating myself into thinking that I might pick it up a little later... Then Jamie started learning. Well. If she can do it, I can too right? Yes.

After a couple hours of learning the basics, I'd become a crocheting mad woman. Sometimes I feel like a grandma as I sit on the couch crocheting and watching Little House on the Prairie... Needless to say, I'm hooked (wow nooo pun intended).
This is my crochet pouch that my mom made for each of us! She let us pick the colors of fabrics and ribbon then she made up a pattern off the top of her head. She's amazing.

It holds all my hooks, a needle, and stitch markers. It's a LIFE SAVER. I don't know how I'd keep track of all this stuff without it. 
Here are some of the projects I've completed:
This is my first completed crochet creation. A hippo! I never got around to sewing eyes on him, but he's still pretty cute!
Project #2 Seal
Project #3 Baby Bird: Jamie gave me the pattern for this cute little guy and we made them together! Click here to see the bird friends together.
This was the last thing I've made so far. It's a GIANT kiwi bird! When I started making it, I thought it would be a million times smaller then it actually was so I was quite surprised when I finished and found out how big it turned out. (I don't know if you can tell but half way through I ran out of yarn so I had to use a different color!) Once I put eyes on him, he's going to work with my mom so he can sit happily on her desk :) If you're interested, here's the pattern!
I can't wait to get started on some new projects! Jamie and I are planning on crocheting lots of little popcorn kernels and stringing them together to make decorations for Christmas trees! I guess I'll just have to see how long this enthusiasm lasts...

2 comments:

  1. It will last FOREVER! Until my hands become gnarled and gross - then we can stop.

    That kiwi is terrific. Love the color change. I guess I needed a good laugh at the office so I've been cracking up repeatedly over it! Ha ha ha. Love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look great!!! I want to make a hippo... Do you have a book with the patterns, or did you just find them online or at Ravelry? I want to see

    Also... we should have a craft night or morning or something where we can all sit around like little old ladies and crochet or knit.

    ReplyDelete